Over two centuries of tradition
Today, 100 Borran Street stands on the site of Glasgow’s old Port Dundas terminus, which was established at One Hundred Acre Hill between 1786 and 1790.
Named after Sir Lawrence Dundas, Governor of the Forth and Clyde Canal Company, it formed a vital waterway terminus, linking the nearby Monkland Canal.
In the 19th Century the area flourished, becoming a major industrial centre abundant with textile mills, chemical works, granaries, distilleries, glassworks, iron foundries, power stations and engineering works.
Port Dundas distillery became one of the largest in the world, producing 2,562,000 gallons of spirit a year by the end of the 19th Century.
“A scene of great commercial activity”
In 1859 a massive brick chimney was built for Charles Tennant’s St Rollox Chemical Works. Standing 454ft tall, and with an outside diameter of 32ft at ground level, it was the tallest in the world at the time.
The turn of the century also saw the construction of the coal-fired Pinkston Power Station, built in 1900 to generate electricity to power Glasgow’s trams. A visitor to the area at the time described Port Dundas as a “scene of great commercial activity”.
Sadly, the boom could not last, and industry in the area declined slowly throughout the 20th Century, with more industries closing their doors.
The Monkland Canal was closed to navigation in 1952, and the Forth and Clyde followed suit in 1963, with the Port Dundas basin drained. A year later, St Rollox closed too. Pinkston was decommissioned in the 1960s and finally demolished in 1977 as the area stood near-idle in the shadow of the M8 motorway.
In 2010, the Port Dundas distillery closed after nearly 200 years — but by then a dynamic revolution was already under way nearby.
The early 21st century saw a new dawn for Port Dundas, with fresh life being breathed into the area.
Speirs Wharf — originally the offices of the Forth & Clyde Navigation — had already been converted into apartments and commercial units.
Then the Forth and Clyde Canal was cleaned up and restored as a leisure attraction, with other old granaries, malt barns and kilns converted into flats and offices along its banks.
Slowly business and industry was attracted back to the area in an exciting rebirth which saw a new name for the historic business park: 100 Borron Street.